Controlled Substance Charges in Las Vegas
Recent case Results
DEFEND YOUR RIGHTS: CALL OUR DRUG DEFENSE ATTORNEYS IN LAS VEGAS
Controlled substances are incredibly common in our area, particularly at nightclubs and casinos. As a result, many out-of-town visitors (as well as locals) find themselves facing one or more of a variety of related charges. Drug crimes involving controlled substances are very serious, and individuals charged will need to contact a team of experienced criminal defense attorneys.
SE HABLA ESPANOL
CHOOSE OUR FIRM
Criminal Charges for Controlled Substances
- Possession – The most common charge faced by residents and visitors to the Las Vegas area is simple “possession.” It is illegal to have any amount of controlled substance on your person, or in your house or car. Possession charges can result in jail time, so it’s very important that anyone facing charges take them seriously.
- Possession with intent to sell – Whether or not you intend to sell the controlled substance, if you possess it in large enough quantities you will be charged with possession with intent to sell. Most states have laws creating this shortcut because “intent” is very difficult for the state to actually prove.
- Sale – When law enforcement can catch someone in the physical act of selling a controlled substance (note that the term “selling” includes a wide variety of activities, including giving it away or exchanging it for something else) they’re able to bring more serious charges than simple possession.
- Manufacture – Nevada lawmakers have sought to limit the availability of controlled substances by providing harsh punishments for anyone who manufactures it within the borders of the state. The same law also prohibits “attempted manufacture” of controlled substances.
- Conspiracy – The state of Nevada not only punishes people who possess or sell controlled substances, but punishes people who work in conjunction with others who may be possessing, selling, or transporting them. The state sometimes uses this law to go after people who may not have broken a law themselves, but who were working in conjunction with individuals who did to further that goal.
- Trafficking – Several types of activities (usually transport or sale) involving large quantities of controlled substances qualify as “trafficking,” a very serious offense. Anyone charged with trafficking may be facing both state and federal charges, and will need strong criminal defense representation available for an improved chance of avoiding serious prison time.
- Under the influence – With all the fuss made over possession and sale of controlled substances, it’s easy to forget that what the state really wants to limit is the use of drugs. While it’s difficult to prove that anyone is under the influence without a blood or urine test, there are, in fact, penalties when it can be shown that someone intentionally used.
- Federal distribution – Las Vegas is a hub for transportation and sale of all types of goods in the southwest. Any transactions that involve substances crossing state borders brings in federal authority to regulate.
THE IMPORTANCE OF HIRING AN EXPERIENCED LAWYER
Our experienced Las Vegas criminal defense lawyers at Oronoz and Ericsson Injury Lawyers are not afraid to do what it takes to obtain favorable results for our clients. We’ve helped many clients avoid harsh sentences through tried and true pre-trial negotiation strategies, and we’ve helped many others avoid conviction entirely by successfully trying cases in front of juries. When you are charged with a crime involving a controlled substance, you need skilled legal counsel.
Controlled substances include, but are not limited to:
We have a proven track record of helping people just like you who have been accused of crimes in Las Vegas and southern Nevada. Each of our firm’s partners and associates has experience with controlled substance laws that can only be earned though years of specialization in criminal defense, in and out of the courtroom.